CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, August 12, 2011

independent thinking

I love love love it when, from my children's mouths...and minds, I discover thoughts 'not of mine'.

Independent thoughts.
Theirs. Not mine.

Teaching children to think their own way is no easy task.
Not in a land where schools are busy pounding in rules and regulations and society dictates the norm.
Don't get me wrong, I understand the need for rules.
But I don't think holes in jeans or baseball caps are the ruin of manners.
I don't think there's always a black and white, even where school work is concerned.
I think we should be breeding creativity rather than armies of ants...marching a straight line.
Writing outside the box is my idea of good school work...defend the path that led you there!
Remember respect, but stand up for your ideas.

That's just me.

We are trying hard to raise 4 amazing women.

Individual women.
Strong women.
Strong willed.
Strong minded.
Sure.

So this morning I was working.  I was on the phone with a customer.
I sat Parker down on her bottom in the middle of the rug for a few minutes of work.
I gave her a red cup and spoon.
To occupy her.
She left them and pulled herself up on a chair by my desk.
I put her spoon on the chair, to give her something to bang.
(and to give me a few more minutes to work)
She got back down on the floor,
scooted over to the rug for her red cup,
and crawled back, pulling her cup all the way with her.
Independent thinking.
I love it.
It made me so happy.
She wanted it.
She got it.
 And struggled with it to get back to where she wanted to be.

Way to go Sweet P!




No comments:

Post a Comment